Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Day 79: A Tribute For Austin and Sarah

365 Firsts
Today is a special day for 365 Firsts. Day 79 is dedicated to Sarah Bly and her fiancé, Austin Wyatt, who had his life tragically cut short in a car accident one year ago today. Sarah approached me about doing a day of dedication earlier this month for Austin and for her because she enjoys the 365 Firsts. She has been such an inspiration to me ever since. Sarah, you so kindly told me that 365 Firsts has helped you through dark times and given you hope and inspiration. I wasn't sure if anything I was doing mattered at all until that moment, then suddenly I was the proudest I've ever been in my entire life. I didn't know Austin, but from you I've learned that he was a loving fiancé, father, friend and son and much more. Today is a mixture of "firsts" that are also things that Austin loved doing in his life. Your strength is an inspiration to me and many others. This day is for you. This day is for Austin. 

(Part 1). Austin was a fisherman and it was something he loved to do, so I fished for an hour and caught my first catfish for him. It may be a wimpy catfish, but it's still a catfish. I wanted to stay out and catch another one for Sarah, so 3 hours later I finally did. I had you two on my mind the whole time. 

Austin was a chef, so I cooked my first 3 course meal. Bacon wrapped dates for an appetizer, seared cod with chive butter sauce with brussel sprouts and scalloped pineapple for the entree, and bananas foster for dessert. I tried my best! I hope Austin would've liked it. 

I purchased the rights to name a star in the Pisces star system, Austin's astrological sign, after the both of you. It's name is Austin Sarah. Has a nice ring to it. It's right in those coordinates and in that picture so you can find it whenever you gaze at the stars at night for the rest of your life. I didn't realize he was born only 7 days older than myself until tonight. That really hit home. Sarah, it's really been such an honor dedicating this day of 365 Firsts to Austin's life and to you. I feel blessed for the opportunity. It's been a great day and I hope a celebration to Austin. It's made me realize more than you'll ever know and be thankful for life even more than I already was. I hope it meant something to you and to Austin. He'd be very proud of you and how you've chosen to live life after his passing. I didn't know him, but I feel like I got a chance to today. Thank you for that. Much love to you both. "If people sat outside and looked at the stars each night, I'll bet they'd live life a lot differently." - Bill Watterson. 

No comments:

Post a Comment