Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Day 83: Letters to my Grandparents

365 Firsts 
Today I float from the ground, tomorrow I fall from the sky. In less than 24 hours I'm skydiving (weather permitting) so today I wrote letters to each of my grandparents, attached them to balloons and released them symbolically into the air. All four of my grandparents have passed away. I'm not complaining because I'm extremely lucky to have the life that I have and I realize that, but I wanted to make them a part of my 365 Firsts since they aren't here to see it.

I never met my dad's parents since they had passed away before I was born. The grandpa that I did have died when I was three and my grandma died when I was five years old. I remember my grandpa had Parkinson's Disease very badly and I was too young to understand why he shook the way that he did. It makes me sad now to think of the pain he was going through and that I was too young to realize it. I remember riding my bike over to my grandma's almost every day and getting this weird drink that was half Sunny Delight and half water. Yeah, I liked my Sunny-D watered down. Deal with it. I wish I had more time with the both of them when I was older and understood more. I wish I could've met my dad's parents and known the people that shaped the great person that he is. I wish my grandpa could've seen me play baseball since he loved it so much. I wish I would've complained less about grandma's cooking and just choked it down and smiled. These aren't regrets that I have, especially since I was so young, just wishes. Life is short. Don't waste a single minute of it. Don't be afraid. If you've been doing those, life is still waiting for you. Go out and live. 

No comments:

Post a Comment